Discord is one of the most popular instant messaging and digital distribution platforms for gamers and developers, usually introduces new features to keep competitors at bay as well as fix bugs so that the app can run smoothly.
These new features are introduced through software updates. Therefore, unless you update your discord app, you will not be able to see or use these new features. So you might be thinking that “how do I update Discord on my device?”.
Well in this article we will talk about how to update discord on mobile, PC, and Mac.
- How to update Discord on PC or Mac?
- How to Update Discord on Mobile?
How to update Discord on PC or Mac?
When using Discord on a desktop, it automatically checks for updates once you open it. However, you can force an update check if you haven’t updated in a while.
Here are 2 ways to force an update check if you are using Discord on your desktop.
1. Shut down discord fully and then reopen it
How do I update Discord on Windows?
The discord app will auto-update once you restart/open it.
To shut down Discord on Windows:
- Go to taskbar
- Right-click on your discord icon on the taskbar
- Click on Quit discord
The discord program will stop running. To reopen it:
- Go to the taskbar
- Click on the discord icon and open it
How do I update Discord on my Mac?
Same as with Windows, the discord app will auto-update once you restart/open it.
To shut down Discord on Mac:
- Locate the discord application pinned to your Dock
- Two-finger click on the app to expand the options menu
- Click on quit Discord
This will shut down the discord program immediately. To reopen it:
- Locate the discord app pinned to your Dock
- Click on it to reopen it
The app will check for updates once you reopen it. Have in mind that the discord program has to close, not just the Windows.
2. Using the reset command
- On Windows PC, simply tap Ctrl + R on your keyboard
- On Mac, press Command + R
This will allow the discord program to go blank for a few seconds before restarting and checking for updates.
Once there is an available update, it will be installed automatically.
How to Update Discord on Mobile?
The mobile app store handles the discord app updates, unlike the desktop version. These updates should be installed automatically through the app store.
However, there are ways for you to update the app yourself if it hasn’t been automatically updated by the app store.
How to update Discord On iPhone
- Open the app store.
- Click on your profile picture at the top right corner.
- Locate discord from the list of apps awaiting updates.
- Click on the update button next to it.
If the update button is not there, you are already using the latest version.
How to update Discord On Android
- Open Google play store app
- Click on the profile picture icon at the top right corner
- Choose manage apps and devices
- Click on the updates option
- Locate discord from the list of apps awaiting updates
- Click on the update button next to it
Note that if you can not locate the discord app from the list of apps awaiting updates, then you are already using the latest version.
Whether you are using a mobile, PC, or Mac to log in to your discord account, the guide above will allow you to update the app in order to access the new features.
Hopefully, you learned how to update discord on mobile, PC and Mac.